Sunday, June 26, 2011

Fighting the unknown

This post has been in my draft folder for more than a year now. I started with a few sentences and stopped. 6 months later, I added a few more sentences and stopped and that happened a few more times. Today, I finally finished it, what an achievement! 
______________________________ 

 I am a scientist. Or rather, I have been practising scientific principles for years where logic and evidence-based practice would more often than not, win hands down. I guess it comes to no surprise therefore that I am a bit of a sceptic when it comes to ghost. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that there are other forms of beings living in this world of ours. Studying in a boarding school before, I have of course encountered some forms of those beings. I was a late-night person at school and particularly loved washing clothes at 3 or 4 in the morning where I didn't have to queue to use the washing machine and got to choose the best spot of the ampaian, so the chances of bumping into those other-than-human beings were pretty high. Those that I can still remember were: a scary-faced old lady at Block C water cooler, a (probably) flying lady by the window of 1st floor study room and a smiley 'senior' sleeping on the bed next to mine although the real person was actually out of the school that weekend - that was when I first learned about hantu raya. Although those encounters made good stories during balik kampung get-together sessions, I never really give them much thoughts. To me, like humans, they too are the servants of God so why should we fear them? Afterall, the only ghost-killing-human stories that we've seen or heard are only in the movies (Gosh, I can still remember how terrified I was watching The Poltergeist when I was a kid!). Takde lagi cerita orang mati kena bunuh dek hantu kan? Manusia bunuh manusia, on the other hand, ramai gila! Looking back, I am glad that I have never been bothered that much by ghost stories or my working life would be much more challenging. As a resident pharmacist in a busy teaching hospital in Sheffield years ago, I frequently received late-night/ early morning calls resulting in me having to walk from the residency house back to the hospital alone, mostly in cold, using an eerily quiet stretch of road at 2-4am in the morning. Back in KL, my previous office was situated just a few meters from the hospital mortuary and working alone in the office till late was quite a norm especially in the last 5 years of working there. Surprisingly, apart from the usual encounters with hospital workers carrying coffins passing me by, I don't remember experiencing anything extraordinary even though I walked by the mortuary on daily basis for years and years. Hantu kat HUKM tu baik2 belaka la gamaknya.. Anyway, enough about the past and straight to the original purpose of this post. Both Big Boss and I had series of unfortunate events in the few months leading to our big day in June last year. At first, we thought they were just that, unfortunate events. But one day while he was behind the wheel heading home after work, something unexplainable happened. He was fine and normal in one minute then turned into a possessed man in another. He suddenly started to sweat profusely with bloodshot eyes, breathed soundly like a bear and spoke incoherently. Thank god I managed to get him to stop by the road side and I always have a cassette of Surah Yasin in the dashboard compartment. I took over the steering wheel once he was more stable, it was the longest ever drive home. Since then, more and more weird and unexplained things happened, affecting us physically and emotionally. To be honest, I was so overwhelmed at times that postponing the wedding did cross my mind a few times. Alhamdulillah, we managed to get help from a couple of ustaz and the 'disturbance' was removed just a few days before the wedding. We knew where it came from and we're pretty sure, a year on, it is still trying to make a comeback every now and then. As for now, our only defense is prayers including ayat-ayat Ruqyah (you can download them online). By the end of the day, only in Him we believe and to fear other beings is simply... wrong.

6 comments:

Mel Ija said...

Hi Ryzah,

I am applauding you for blogging despite your busy schedule and all. We have to support one another, you know.. hehehehe.. yeah, I'm telling myself that as well. Anyway, truth be said, I have NEVER encountered ghost-like beings, and NEVER want to encounter them at all. So, hopefully I wouldnt have to lah in the future. I know they exist because my daughter sees them. Yeah, I know... but that was a long time ago. When she was 3 yrs old. As she got older, she doesnt see these beings anymore. Thankfully. Be safe, ok.

Hairil Rizal said...

Dear friend,

Interesting story that gives me the chills. I am glad that the being is now under control.

Apparently, there's one good thing about the whole turn of events I would say...that it made you and Big Boss to be closer and closer to the Almighty.

Not everyone has that chance you see...


Have great days ahead dear friend!

Hazyr said...

Ija,

My youngest sister could see those things too when she was younger (up till early secondary school I think). But it bugged her so much after a while (dia jadi takut) so my dad brought her to see an ustaz to sort of 'switch off' that vision. Now dah tak nampak dah.

Hairil,

Yup, you were right. Memang the experience brought us closer to God so it was a huge blessing in disguise :)

ardy said...

You had to queue to use the washing machine in school? You had a washing machine in school?! I mean, OMG! Your school had washing machines??? Like, whaaaaaaat???

Hazyr said...

Ardy,

Washing machine with separate dryer lagi okeh! hahaha...

kukumalu said...

ooh i never know this story - enon

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...