Saturday, June 18, 2011

Buku

For a person who used to enjoy buying and reading fictional books,the fact that I only bought my first book for the year just 2 weeks ago is somewhat unimpressive. And it was a hurried purchase over lunchtime from Cyberjaya Streetmall weekly market too, not from those bookshops that I used to frequent. But it was a good bargain. The small stall minded by a middle age english lady has many titles from authors that I like such as Tony Parsons, Paul Coelho, Khaled Hosseini and many more. And when I saw this book selling at only RM20, I grabbed and paid for it in less than 2 minutes. Where else can I get a wrapped, first-hand Tony Parsons' books at RM20 right?



This morning, after settling the laundry and a bit of cleaning, I started reading. It was just me and the book on the sofa with some old songs playing at the background from my MP3 collections. Not everyday I get to indulge myself like this, such a bliss.

Tony Parsons' books always bring back some of the old memories due to the familiar places used at the background settings of the story. Reading George (the lead character in Starting Over) pushing his bike through Regent's Park for example brought a smile to my face when a memory of a picnic with some friends in that exact park came flashing in. It was spring and the daffodils were blooming and we went on with the picnic although it was damn cold. Well, it was already spring and the daffodils were already blooming, who cares about the temperature? We even brought our own homemade tuna and sardine sandwiches and drinks (we were skinned students living on crazily tiny scholarships) yet, we had a blast that day. Life was much simpler back then. It was full of optimism, hope and joy.

Anyway, I finished reading Starting Over by 4pm. It is a good book I must say. A chance to start over doesn't mean that you have to pursue what you previously failed to achieve, it just mean that you should cherish and appreciate what you already have. And I am doing just that.

No comments:

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...