Saturday, December 12, 2009

College tales

The first part was from last Tuesday, tak sempat post!
----------

I had to invigilate an exam today, the first time doing it fully as the main invigilator. I took some work with me to keep me occupied throughout the 2-hour paper but ended up not touching those documents at all. Observing student characters in a stressful situation like an exam was more fun and amusing then doing my own work!

Some looked like they were in deep thoughts most of the time, either trying hard to squeeze out the answers from their brains or just blanked out

Some probably have restless leg syndrome because they kept shaking as if they were on a dance floor

Some wrote with force and full passion as if they themselves wanted to be IN the answer sheets

Some kept staring up the ceiling (I was tempted to ask if they thought the ceiling was going to drop anytime!)

Some were very messy, dropping their stationaries onto the floor one after another.

Macam-macam.

But one thing I noticed, the majority of the students did asked for the extra answer sheets... thank god I wasn't one of them taking the exam! During my exam years (school, college, university) I would really hate it if I have to sit among those 'kiasu' students especially during tough papers because they would drive me bonkers. I hardly ever asked for extra answer sheets during any exams and just couldn't understand why they needed to...

'Why do they have to write that much? Do they know something that I don't? Will they get extra marks for writing a page more for each questions? Surely the lecturers will be impressed with them? Damn, I am sooooooo gonna fail this paper!!'

Yup.. those were the questions going on in my mind whenever I see people to my left, right and front asking for the extra papers. Crazy I know! The worse thing was, I myself never attempted to write more and ask for extra answer sheets because I was(and probably still is!) a lazy person when it comes to writing. So I would still stick to my compact/ point-form answers but would just cursed those bunch of losers quietly in my heart instead. Heheh.

-------------------------------------

I became a postgrad student again unofficially on Thursday. Had an adhoc meeting with my soon-to-be supervisor (who was a cardiologist at my old hospital before I joined there, what a small world)and soon-to-be my research team-mates on that day and now cracking my head to come up with my own protocol by monday. It is a bit of a rush but rezeki sudah datang bergolek, takkan nak tolak. If all goes well, I will have my old boss, the head cardiologist of the old hospital as my co-supervisor and will be going back there to run my study. Kalau ada rezeki, with a pretty handsome grant too!

Now, I just need to decide whether I want to start officially in January or May. It will be January if I am bold and brave... In May if I want to play it safe and slow. What do you think?

No comments:

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...