Saturday, November 29, 2008

Wind of Change

Somebody commented that for a person who usually spend 10-12 hours a day at work, I hardly talked about work in this blog. So here is one..

To start with, just a minor correction. I used to spend 10-12 hours at work on a daily basis.. and sometimes, I'd go in at weekends too. But not anymore. For the past few months, I have been limiting my working time to the normal working hours and even if staying back is necessary, I would limit it to 7pm the max only. It is part of my 'letting go' process I guess..heheh.

Yesterday was my unofficial last day at the private wing. Had a small makan-makan, a few exchanges of thanks and apologies, received a lovely gift from my kind-hearted staff, photo-taking session and..that was it. I didn't even bother to come up with a speech although the staff asked for one.. formal (read: superficial) speech is just not my cup of tea. Come Monday, the private wing will welcome a new full-time pharmacist, the first ever in the history of the organisation. I will still need to go there for another month during the pass-over period but I am glad that things are finally going to change for the better. Not that I am happy to get rid of the job. Ok, may be I do, but I don't hate the job that much anymore. It has kinda 'grown' on me I think..

I used to complain bucketloads about that place before.. here and here as examples. When I took over the unit (as an extra part-time job) 1 and 1/2 years ago, I was amazed at how a private setting can have such a sub-standard practice as far as pharmacy is concerned. Bad planning, bad implementation of systems and problematic staff. Such a recipe for disaster. They just didn't have a clue. I just couldn't stand sloppy work so along the way, I just had to make some changes and on a few occasions, even kicked up a big fuss with the management to get things done. Now, the place is far from perfect yet but at least, the problematic employee has since left, a full-force reliable staff has been assembled, and some standards and systems have been introduced. There are a lot more to be done but these changes can only materialise under the care of a full-time pharmacist. Hence, the reason why I pushed for them to part with their money and employ one, a step which they have been hesitating for years. So.. A big hurrah for common sense and professionalism!

__________________________

I have been thinking hard about the future in the past few months. While researching and planning for the years to come, I couldn't help but looking back to the past and present days, particularly my (other, real) job. Yes, work is and has always been a major part of my life.. (sad isn't it? But this is the real me). Looking back, I am amazed at how much we have progressed and achieved. When I joined the hospital way back in 2003 and was given the task to re-set-up and expand the team, never that I imagined that we would have gone this far, but we did. Over the years, we have managed to overcome cynical comments and pessimism from certain quarters and worked hard to make our own mark in the industry, nationally if not internationally. Of course, we had politics and dramas here and there (this is Malaysia after all!) and the place has seen a fair share of laughters and tears over the years, but we survived and succeeded.

My team is at its strongest now, I'd say.. which brings me to the ringing questions in my head... is it time to leave for a new adventure? If yes, temporarily or permanently? Where to? When?

I guess these questions will only be answered in the next few months or so. I am not in a rush. I still have a few more work-in-progress to see through. But whatever and whenever it will be... a major change is inevitable. I need to do something for myself, for once..

__________________________



Kinda appropriate for this post, isn't it? And Mr Big looked so young back then!

No comments:

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...