Thursday, June 05, 2008

Me speak no England!

Something annoying happened this afternoon.

2 drug reps whom I've never met before came to visit and all went well until just before they left... One of them asked whether I am of a mixed blood and when I asked back why, she cheerfully answered "you looked like a chinese and you speak English very well!"

Ok.. I am not pissed off that they said I looked like a chinese...I get that all the time, even with my skin colour and that I am much darker now (or burned to be exact!) after spending 3 days by the beach with minimal usage of sunblock. What made my blood goes upstairs (quoting Azean Irdawaty in one of her famous teledrama which title I can't remember anymore) was the statement about me having good command of English... Emmmm, was she implying that only certain races can speak good English??

The worst thing is, this statement didn't just came from this particular person...I have in fact, received similar comments on a number of different occasions already! Hello? Why do people have this kind of stupid generalisation? For the record people, I can speak fluent English (although I noticed that my own standard has greatly declined in recent years especially if comparing it to the years I was in the UK) because I learned it hard and well...not because of who my grandparents or great grandparents are!! I have so many Malay friends who are non-mixed and yet have excellent command of English too.. so what's your excuse now eh?

grrrr...

Footnote: Ok, I am also pissed off because of the oil price hike. I may be driving to Tioman next weekend for a diving trip...kena buat budget baru ni..grrrr...

No comments:

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...