Saturday, January 20, 2024

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session for a master student of Universitas Gadjah Mada, Indonesia. Was abit nervous to be the external examiner at first since the internal was the former dean (and he was a high-profile and the youngest professor back then) but all went well and I truly enjoyed the 2-hour long viva. Heh.

2023 flew so quickly that I felt breathless at times. Work was busy as ever but I got to go scuba diving in March, went to Penang twice and once with my family and managed a trip to Japan and Yogyakarta. Eventhough the oversea trips were for work, managed to squeeze in some sight-seeing too. Achieved many highs workwise and professionally but yes, by the last quarter of the year, I knew I was heading for a burn out. I finally tendered my resignation and am now serving the 3-month notice period trying to clear off everything before I leave at the beginning of Ramadhan. 

Although December started on a high note with the successful completion of our scientific conference which I chaired, the unsettling feelings became too obvious. So, when a few attempts at negotiations failed and instead of just buying my time until the take-over, I decided to step away instead. When the news spread, many were disappointed, old colleagues were surprised and some were even sad but it is what it is. I have to look after myself first and after 14 years, I am just tired. I resigned even without a new job but thank god I received 2 offers soon after. Kalau tak, mungkin masuk pulau jadi beachbum agaknya :) The irony is, I rejected Nottingham Uni for my degree back in 1996 just because I wanted to go to London for love (or so I thought) but now, 28 years later, I will be joining them (Malaysian campus) as a faculty member. Life is full of surprises eh? 

Anyway, can't believe this blog is more than 20 years old already. I created with the help of a good friend in July 2003 and he later passed away just 3 months later. I hope I can keep this blog alive as long as I can to honour his memory.

Here's to a new year and a new beginning! Wish me luck!





No comments:

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...