Friday, April 09, 2010

We deserve to be there too (part I)

It's Friday today. Normally, Friday would be a good day because the weekend is less than 24 hours away. It should also be a better day because Liverpool FC has just braved through to the semi-final of Europa League after a stylish win over Benfica last night.

But, I am hopping mad and it is because of this frontpage article in The Star today:

Pulau Redang aims to lure the rich with room rates no less than RM1,600

I can still stomach it if they just come clean and say that they want to make the island exclusive because they want to squeeze as much money out of the precious jewel before it's gone forever. But to say that (quote) "only wealthy individuals would be able to afford holidays in Pulau Redang" as it is " the only way to save the surrounding rich marine life and prevent environmental destruction due to pollution and indiscriminate littering" is just not acceptable. Such hypocrisy.

It is also painfully funny to read this: "Efforts must be made to save the island from deteriorating environmentally. Those on budget excursions can visit other islands like Pulau Kapas and Pulau Perhentian that are equally charming"

Were those statements implying that budget travellers are the only culprits who have caused damages to the corals and that the rich and famous are the only ones who care for the marine life? And was the last statement also implying that it is actually ok to damage the corals of Kapas and Perhentian islands? Haih.

If you really care about the ecosystem and the precious marine life wahai pembesar-pembesar negeri, don't you think you should consider these steps instead?

* limit the number of visitors per day as how it is done in Sipadan
* even limit the number of resorts if necessary but make sure those available can cater for everyone including backpackers, not just those lucky ones who can afford RM1.6k/night rooms
* HELP to upgrade the sewage system on the island
* improve monitoring and ENFORCEMENT to ensure all chalets and hotels (including those for the rich and famous) have proper and working sewage system
* fully SUPPORT the marine conservational works already been carried out by many agencies including Reefcheck, WWF etc
* EDUCATE, EDUCATE AND EDUCATE our people (err, and probably the state policy-makers too)

I am very fond of Redang Island and have been there quite a number of times over the last 2 years. I particularly enjoyed diving at Holysand (when it was still there), Terumbu Mak Cantik and Terumbu Che Isa, awesome sites I must say. Redang was where I did my AOWD with sifu Macha hence the first place I did my deep and night dives. It was also where I dived with many good friends like Siew Lian, DiveChiefKaz, Ardy, Bakawali, Najibest, Safuan, Zalman and Avthar and also the place where I first met a few otai divers who later became my good friends like Miezegreat, Ikan and Rocket. So yeah, Redang is special to me and to many other divers too, I'm sure. But if this (quote) "only wealthy individuals would be able to afford holidays in Pulau Redang as hotel rooms will cost no less than US$500 (RM1,599) a night" plan ever materialise, I have no doubts I won't be able to step on the island again. RM1600 can easily give me a 3 or 4-day dive trip to Manado and if I just double the amount, it can take me to Komodo which is no doubt a wayyyyyy better diving destination compared to Redang. In short, this motion will just drive visitors away to the neighbouring countries in no time. Not so clever eh?

Anyway, for your information dear policy-makers, most divers travel cheap because we do CARE about our environment. By staying at cheap chalets, we use fans instead of air-conditioners (ada ke 5* hotels yang tak pakai air-cond?), the electricity supply at these cheap resorts are usually limited to only certain times of the day (as oppose to unlimited usage hence energy wastage in 5* hotels) and most of the times, we even bring our own towels hence avoiding unnecessary towels/ bathrobes daily change as in those fancy hotels. I can go on and on but cukup la... I think I have made my points here.

Kesimpulannya, please seriously reconsider ya. Saya dahului dengan ribuan terima kasih.

------------

The wonderful creatures of Redang underwater from last year's trip..






4 comments:

Hairil Rizal said...

Totally agree with you Ryzah. Wonder how in the world did they finally arrived at that decision. Must have come from their stomachs or knees.

Hazyr said...

Tu la pasal. If they truly want to only attract those rich and famous, surely they will also need to provide top-class golf course there (berapa banyak pokok kena tebang then?) and of course lots of booze too. Is that the path we truly want to take?

Didie said...

Nampak sangat buat decision main cakap jek and based on $$$. Tak buat root cause analysis langsung. Eii.. nyampah, nyampah!!

Btw, I like your pics esp the nemo ;-)

Bakawali said...

I was appalled when I heard the 'announcement'.

I also have a huge sweet spot for Redang after my first ever trip in 2005.

I agree with the suggestions you have made but then all those numbskulls of administrators and politicians are just trying to find excuses to 'validate' their decisions and are not interested in conservation

Obviously 1Malaysia doesn't work here as there is 2Standards going on

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...