Wednesday, October 10, 2007

To Mr Policeman with love

Dear Mr Policeman,

Only 2 days left before we're going to celebrate Aidilfitri. As excited as we all are about balik kampung, we, particularly in my housewhole, have been talking and worrying about one major issue. Security. Or the lack of it, to be precise.

You see, my sister became the latest victim of a snatch theft just 2 weeks ago and it happened right IN FRONT OF OUR HOUSE, in a broad daylight. It was just a day after her birthday too. She was coming out of the car after coming back from work and in split seconds, 2 guys on a motorbike approached and snatched her handbag out of her hand, leaving her speechless and helpless. Thank god she was not injured physically, but emotionally,I am sure she was (and probably still is) a wreck. My youngest sister who at the time was about to sit for PMR saw the whole incident since she was outside playing with our cats, but she too couldn't do anything. The worst part was, the pillion rider looked at her with a warning stare and she is still traumatised until now. When all went to the nearby police station to make a report that night after iftar, they saw the photofit of the pillion rider posted on the wanted wall. They also found out that just earlier that day, a nearby neighbour had also joined the victim statistics.

Apart from snatch thieves, the neighbourhood has in recent months been the target of robbers. The house next to ours have been broken into so many times that we've lost count.. just because they're an elderly couple and all their kids have moved away. Criminals are cowards aren't they? They mainly target kids,women and elderly...

Anyway, back to my family.. because of the increasing crime rate in the area, my dad has decided that he (and my mom) will only spend 2 days in JB for raya. We hardly go back to JB nowadays and now with this security concern, we have even less days to be with our loved ones. Even when we're there, I am sure the concern will still be on my parents' mind. They get cranky when they're worried you know..

Actually, the whole family is abit cranky nowadays..and paranoid. Before coming out of our cars, we would carefully look around (360 degrees) and would only come out once we're 100% sure that there are no approaching vehicles. All bikers passing by the house will be stared at with full suspicions. Even the Pak Aji who regularly pass-by to go to the mosque is not spared. And we're obsessed with locks too.. The front gate is locked all the time now (much to my annoyance!) and there is no way I can come back home late at night alone without receiving wraths from my dad or mom. But the good thing is, I now have my friends or my 1am rescuer ;) fetching and sending me home if I go out at night i.e. I don't have to drive anymore :) but that besides the point, ok.

So Mister Policeman... now that you know at least how one of the snatch thieves looks like and you know the area that they've been targeting...what are you doing about it?? How come we have NEVER seen any of your patrol cars around, even after so many robbery reports coming from the area? What do you do with our reports anyway? Just stashed them away? And how come you have a permanent mini station in Taman TAR and not anywhere else in Ampang Jaya? You're supposed to 'berkhidmat untuk rakyat' not 'berkhidmat untuk orang-orang kaya dan menteri-menteri' only you know.. or have you forgotten?

I know it sucks to be working during festive season when everybody else is enjoying their ketupat and rendang, but you chose your own profession didn't you? So, we're giving you one last chance now.. please honour your profession. Please come over to our area and make your presence felt. If you are not able to catch the b*****ds (puasa!), at least (I hope) your regular presence may deter them from coming back and at the same time, may make us feel safer and definitely will reduce my dad's crankiness. I hope not to hear a single break-ins/snatch incidents in my area during this raya period ok. I may belanja you late-night teh tarik if you perform well (providing that you fetch me from home la). What say you?

Pergi berkelah di Tanjung Bidara
Selamat Hari Raya

Kuih bahulu dah habis setin
Maaf Zahir Batin

* the above pantun are dedicated to all friends and blog readers, not just to Mr Policeman

No comments:

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...