Saturday, September 23, 2006

Heading for a burn-out?

It's saturday afternoon and as any other saturday afternoons in the past few months, I'm now in the office, rushing to finish-off one of my MSc write-ups.

Have been a real anti-social lately.. stood-out friends on a pre-booked movie outing a few days ago, have not been to basketball for months, hardly go swimming either and barely have the time to catch up with my other-half these days (Ok, the definition of 'other-half' is a separate issue so don't ask since I don't have the answer yet!).

I've been warned by some concerned friends that I need to slow down or I'll head for a burn-out. Will start my final project next month and it will be a good 6 months of data collection so I dont think I'll have the chance to ever 'slow down'.. not until I finish my MSc anyway. In fact, I'm wayyyy behind schedules so how can I slow down? Will these work+study madness combo burn me sooner rather than later?

Anyway, we held a counseling week at the hospital lobby a couple of weeks ago where we offered free health screenings (BP, cholesterol, BMI, glucose, bone density etc) coupled with free health advice/counselings from pharmacists. We also secured participations from our in-house dietitians, nurses and KL Drug Control Authority (DCA). The event was a great success with turn-outs much higher than the year before,thanks to free promo by Hits and Mix FM!

Went to Alamanda Shopping Centre in Putrajaya last sunday to help out UKM students with their pharmacy awareness campaign.. was invited to be one of the counselors at the event (talk and more talk!). It was my first trip to Alamanda and I was genuinely impressed with the mall. The layout and decor reminds me of Meadowhall in Sheffield and Bluewater in Kent! Here are some photos of both events:

Counseling Week 2006: the posters exhibition











Counseling Week 2006: Shue busy explaining on osteoporosis











Counseling Week 2006: more free screenings, more crowd thirst for advice!










Alamanda: a demo on ointment-making by one of the students.. It surprisingly attracted quite a huge crowd!










Alamanda: Can't really remember what I was blabbing about.. possibly trying to convince the gentleman there to quit smoking!










Selamat berpuasa all!

No comments:

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...