Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Where everybody knows your name

Ampang Point was on fire last Saturday. Thank god it was only the top floor of the mall (where the food court is located) affected. Thank god too that Big Boss and his mom and sister already out of the building just a few seconds before the small explosion occurred. Apparently the fire originated from one of the stalls at the food court. Thank god that Ampang Point is already back to business as usual now.

Ampang Point and its surrounding shops are always somewhat special to me. This was where I first shopped for groceries and all sorts when I first 'migrated' from JB back in 1993. Even when I was in the UK, I would do my shopping there, especially for all sorts of food supplies that I couldn't get in the UK (nasi himpit for raya and of course halal KFC for the eagerly awaiting friends back in London/ Sheffield!) whenever I was back in KL for holidays. Although it is not as big as KLCC or as posh as Pavilion, it offers quite a complete package to suit me, from food varieties to massages, dental treatment, banking services and music classes (I took my piano lesson at Yamaha here a couple of years back). I know where to get my supply of stamps or toiletries (without having to do much walkabout) or which restaurant serves the best lasagna in the area. It feels truly good when I don't have to waste time and can conveniently order 'Biasa!', get my stuff and out of the door within minutes, for I am not a shopper. Shopping can easily exhaust me and tire my legs, I hate that ok.

There are a few shops in the area that are now already familiar with me (or my dad!) that they would give me discounts and free gifts upon purchases without me even asking for them. I remember buying something from a Pharmacy there one day and the young girl at the counter went: 'Saya tak ingat nama awak tapi awak anak Hj Hisham kan?' and proceeded to give me special discounts. The same goes with Focus Point inside Ampang Point, the moment I enter the shop, they would already know what I want to order and what free gifts to give. On top of that, they would sms me once my ordered lens are ready because they also know I hardly answer calls when I'm at work. Best kan?

Now that I have finally moved out of Ampang to Bandar Tasik Selatan, I feel a bit lost. Don't get me wrong, BTS is very convenient in many aspects. It is much nearer to my office in Cyberjaya (the fact that I dont have to go through the crazy traffics of MRR2 near Cheras and Pandan Indah is already a huge plus point), it is sort of near to everywhere else (access highways like North-South Highway, Cheras Highway (for PJ etc), MEXX and Kajang highways are all within only few minutes' drive)and there are so many major hypermarkets like Giants, Tesco and Carrefour surrounding it.

But, BTS is not Ampang and it will never be. I have yet to discover any parts of BTS or even the nearby Cheras that can even remotely match my Ampang/ Ampang Point so I still go back all the way to Ampang whenever I need to run my errands (or when I badly need a footrub!). So, as a show of loyalty to my 'kampung', I will be celebrating Aidilfitri in Ampang this year. Long live Ampang!!

Selamat Hari Raya everyone, maaf zahir batin. Drive safe!


Footnote: Who am I kidding.. JB is my real kampung (and I would like to think more people know me (still) there). Wished I can be back there with my family for raya :(

6 comments:

Hairil Rizal said...

Hmmm... looks like Ampang Point really has that sentimental value for you after all.

I once have a similar experience with our family grocery shop in Batu Pahat. I was surprised that the mamak still recognized me though I've not gone to his shop for more than 15 years!

I do like shopping at Ampang Point though I am sure the experience will never equal yours.

:)

edina monsoon said...

Selamat Hari Raya Ryzah:) Yes I like Ampang Point too. Havent been there in ages. But I love the many many goodies and potential treasures there.

DDeden said...

I went swimming with manatees (ikan dugon) at Miami Beach, Florida last saturday, they like to spin and get back/belly massage.
Happy Raya!

Hazyr said...

Hai: where do you stay now?

Edina: Hope you had a good break during raya (or were you on-call?)

"the dude" : wah, change of nickname eh? Glad to hear from you again and of course, am sooo jealous of all your trips!

Hairil Rizal said...

Still kat AU3 Keramat. Quite near to Ampang Point that is!

edina monsoon said...

HAD a good break. First time off during the raya break in years:)

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...