Saturday, October 01, 2005

What am I ??

A recent conversation:

Friend X : Actually..What do you do for a living?
Yours truly : I'm a clinical pharmacist
Friend X : You make drugs?
Yours truly : No
Friend X : So, you dispense drugs?
Yours truly : Err, no..
Friend X : Then what do you do exactly?
Yours truly : (here we go again......)

Very few citizens of Malaysia know what is Clinical Pharmacy and what is the function of a Clinical Pharmacist. I can't blame my friends and family for not knowing what I really do since even within the Pharmacy Industry itself, not many actually understand what Clinical Pharmacy is all about.

A few months back I actually set up a webpage about clinical pharmacy services as part of my department website and all of you are more than welcome to visit the site. It's here but it's not 100% ready yet.. I've temporarily abandoned the project due to more pressing matters (ISO oh ISO!). Anyway, Clinical Pharmacy is a fairly new concept in Malaysia and I can honestly say that only HUKM has an established Clinical Pharmacy Services where we have 8 full-time Clinical Pharmacists based in a few wards. As for yours truly, I'm in Cardiac Care Unit and Cardiac Rehab Unit (no, I don't dispense drugs in the wards!). So if you by any chance get a heart attack and get admitted to HUKM, you may get a chance to see me. :)

Have a good weekend all!

No comments:

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...