Friday, December 31, 2004

Farewell 2004, Hello 2005

Today is a day to bid goodbye to another year yet again. 2004 has been a year full of colours, laughters and tears as well as drastic changes. But whatever that happened, already happened and there's nothing that you or I can do to change them. The only decent thing to do now is just to take those events as lessons well-learnt and to work hard to make 2005 a better year.

Anyway, I hope it's not too late to express my deepest sympathy to all victims of the recent tsunami tragedy. My sincere condolence also goes to one of our pharmacy staff who has lost a couple of loved ones due to the natural disaster. I am glad that she survived the ordeal (although with some injuries) and hope that she will recover fully soon.

As for me, I was lucky enough that the beach that my sisters and I went to on that very day was not affected by the big waves. I was oblivious of the sad news until later of the day when I was already back in KL. Watching the news of the event that night made me feel so vulnerable yet relieved at the same time. Relieved because I was safe and sound back at home with the whole family but vulnerable to think that life can be so fragile that it can be taken away from you in a blink of an eye.

I am glad to see the compassion shown by our dear PM who announced on wednesday that all new year celebrations tonight are to be cancelled or postponed. Yup, he is true to say that now is not the appropriate time to be merry. We should take this opportunity to reflect,to mourn and most importantly to help the people in need. So.. have you done your part?

If not yet, here is what you can do:
Send your contributions to the New Straits Times/Berita Harian at:
Balai Berita, 31, Jalan Riong, 59100 Kuala Lumpur.
Cheques should be made out to New Straits Times Press Berhad. On the reverse side of the cheque, please write "NST-BH Malaysian Tsunami Disaster Fund."

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

No comments:

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...