Sunday, November 21, 2004

Marriage vs age

It's Day-8 of Syawal and for the first time in this raya month that I don't go out of the house. I have an uncle's open house to go to but my whole body is a little sore from basketball session yesterday (after a whole month of inactivity)that I decided to stay put at home for a change.

Anyway, an article in Sunday Times today entitled Go get a life and see the world, girl really interest me. Yup, I am one of those girls who get married at a young age. I was 24 then; got married when I was only about 6 months into my first job in the UK but contrary to her writing, I did not marry because 'it is a done thing'. Even that I am in the process of a divorce now, I have never regretted for a single moment the decision I made back then. I found the man that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with (although that probably won't happen now)so why should I wait? I still managed to secure a great job, get 'to see the world'and do the things that I love to do, so what is so wrong with tying the knot at young age?

I know some may whisper that the early marriage may be the reason for my break-up now but I disagree. It doesn't matter at what age you get married, if the break-up is going to happen, it will happen. People and feelings can change and we have different priorities at different stages of life so even if you get married at 40, who can guarantee that you won't be divorcing by the time you're 50?

The writer wrote:
Do our young understand what it takes to share, respect and show consideration in a relationship?

Do they realise that love and kindness must be demonstrated by both sides?

Do they recognise that their partners are equal and not subordinate or superior to them?


But how can you be so sure that you'd have a better understand of love when you're older? And how old is old enough to get married anyway?
You can't learn about love, trust and respect from textbooks but can only understand their true meanings when you ARE in a relationship and I don't think age has got anything to do with it.

That's my 2-cent worth... Comments and ideas are most welcome!

No comments:

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...