Saturday, October 23, 2004

Question time

Raya is still 3 weeks away but I'm already excited about it since I'll be going back to JB this year. But I can't help thinking of what is going to happen when I see all the families under one roof with all the small kids running around. One question that I will surely be asked is 'Bila nak dapat anak?'.I'm quite used to it by now having to hear it countless time in the last 4 years at gatherings and weddings. But this year is going to be particularly tricky since 2 of my cousins are heavily pregnant and supposed to give birth anytime soon. I normally would just answer 'Takde rezeki lagi' with a smile or 'Ntah..' when I'm not in the right mood. But I wonder now...why do these people need to ask that particular question? After 4 years, aren't they tired of asking just like me tired of answering? Don't they know that it is not up to me to decide? Do they seriously think that having kids is not in my life agendas?

Going to school/ college reunions or bumping into old friends can sometimes be tricky too. The question normally asked is not as above but 'Dah berapa dah anak?'. Answering with 'nil' or 'zero' will normally be followed by uncomfortable few minutes silence. But atleast it is not as bad since quite a number of my friends are also in the same boat. And I bet those who are still singles at my age are worst off than me. The question of 'Bila nak kahwin?' is even trickier to answer I would think!

No comments:

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...