Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Going back to nature (part II)

I spent the whole of last weekend at ALIM and it was great. The programme was actually a community project by a MNC (I shall not reveal its name) where they took some of the less fortunate second-formers from a nearby school to the centre for a motivational and team-working course. I went along as I was promised an exciting weekend doing all the outdoors activities as mentioned in my earlier blog. Yup, they did fulfilled their promises and I had a fab time especially doing flying fox the 'superman' way (I flew down a cliff and across a lake!).

But what I didn't expect was only 4 of this particular MNC staff were committed to the project and spent most of their time there (although only two stayed for the whole period of the programme). The others only came over on saturday (not even a full day) to spend their time with the kids. Weird huh?

I mean, it's their project at the first place so they should be there! I know the kids are looked after by ALIM's instructors but when you're the organisers, you need to be more responsible in ensuring the welfare and safety of the kids especially when the programme involved risky activities. If nothing else, it's just plain rude!

Anyway, I was supposed to leave the camp on saturday evening for the EUROPA presentation (sorry Chee Kiat!) but the 4 staff and the ever-so-friendly ALIM instructors succeeded in persuading me to stay and help them out as facilitator. I did stay on because I enjoyed the camp and it was a great experience being on the instructors' side for once but frankly, I think it shouldn't has happened that way. Afterall, I don't get paid for it and believe me, looking after 36 hyper-active kids is not an easy job.

Ok.. Now the best part...

ALIM is gorgeous. It's at the foot of Jugra hill and very very near to Langat River. I have to admit I've never heard of Jugra before and I really thought that I was going to Banting. Jugra was apparently the royal district (before Klang) and that is why they have a lot of 'makam' including one of the late Sultan Abdul Samad. I've learnt a little bit of its history and I intend to learn a lot more.

Being near to Langat River and the sea means lots of seafood too. We had a BBQ on our second night there and it was heaven. I had lots of crabs... They weren't marinated or anything but the taste of fresh crabs was just excellent! We also had a huge ikan talang weighing 11kg fresh from the jetty- and I don't think we managed to finish all of it!

I will definitely go back to ALIM in the nearest future especially when they've offered me to join them as part-time instructor (my 'superman skill' must have really impressed them! :)). I intend to go fishing there too but I first need to get myself a fishing rod. To Azmi, Dol, Atan, Wan, Lin, Ajak and others (sorry I don' remember all the names): thank you for your hospitality and friendship.
Now... I just need to find 2 pots for the plants that they gave me....

No comments:

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...