Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Car oh car...

I had to take leave to sort out my car today. Naively thinking that the car only needed balancing and alignment, I had to spend RM135 instead of my RM40 budget. And that was only for half of the problems that the mechanics found!

Firstly, they said that two of my tyres 'bengkak' and need replacing. How did they found that out? The tyres looked just fine and the same to me. Since the tyre costs RM195 each, I politely refused for replacements...5 minutes later, they said two of the tyres need their cambers replacing. Since one of the lads took his time to explain to me what a camber is and its functions, I agreed for the replacement (although I still haven't got a single clue what he meant!). After almost 2 hours and 2 rounds of test drives with him, I thought the car was ready. But then the lad came back saying that my steering cap (if i heard him correctly) also need replacing. I ran out of patience by that time and just refused blankly without even asking for the price of the cap. I just wanted my car back and go home!

The car does feel better to drive now... And thinking of it, I might consider changing the two tyres and the steering cap afterall. But do I really need the replacements? I supposed I ought to get second opinion first. My knowledge of cars is near to nil... I only know how to drive it, feed it with petrol and water and....errr...that's it. I don't even know how to change tyres! Oh boy...I think I should learn more about my car now before I get conned by the mechanics! (or have I already been conned?) Emmm....

No comments:

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...