Sunday, October 31, 2010

Random thoughts

This blog is almost at risk of dying so here's a quickie for its revival:

1. Last night's Piala Malaysia was pretty good and I enjoyed myself watching it considering I almost died of boredom the last time I saw it live at the stadium some years ago. Our local footie is improving after all!

2. But I was pretty annoyed at Kelantan supporters (well, I could only see them from TV1 live telecast) who kept throwing empty water bottles onto the field even when the game was on... depa ni tak kenal tong sampah ke tak sekolah??

3. I was quite pleased when I heard the announcement on making History a compulsory pass subject in SPM come 2013. I honestly think that we as a nation should take our history more seriously. We should learn from the past so that our future leaders won't make similar (usually) stupid mistakes twice. But it tickled me to the core when I read a comment by the NUTP president who seemed to oppose the idea, published in NST the day after. Quoting a sentence of what he said to NST: "Besides, what's the point in memorising all the dates?"

Alahai... if the president of the National Union of Teaching Profession himself is thick enough to think History subject is all about memorising important dates, I truly pity our current school-goers. Sungguh kasihan... When I was at secondary school I was lucky enough to get to enjoy learning history from teachers of high calibre, namely Cik Hafizah and (then) Cik Saedah. They taught us all about yang 'tersurat' dan 'tersirat' from those historical events included in the syllabus, ... not just important names and dates ya Mr President! *pheww*

4. It's going to be another busy week this week, with exam questions to prepare and vet, clinical attachments at Kajang Hospital and all sort of other commitments. But 4-working days instead of the usual 5 should at least help in maintaining my energy level and motivation, I hope.

5. Liverpool ada game ini malam. YNWA!

3 comments:

Hairil Rizal said...

Can't comment too much on Kelantan supporters. Throwing water bottles is only 'a little bit' of their vast barbaric traditions!

History? I believe that was a good move. I didn't enjoy History classes before..up to the level of questioning why it was there in the first place. Peeps nowadays need to learn the roots really...

Liverpool? Good luck!

Idlan said...

Tapi K. Ryzah, kalau diajar beyond memorising dates, kids will question and probe and ask and spot discrepancies etc. Hancurlah negara kalau lahirkan rakyat berfikir :D

Seriously though, history is a subject which would allow us to apply critical analysis, and teach us not to accept things at face value. We so need this right now.

Hazyr said...

Hairil : Liverpool menang last night! hehe

Idlan: yup, critical thinking is exactly what we need to develop and learning history can provide just that. If proper teaching plans are done, this can be achieved even if the teachers and students need to be 'politically correct'. For example, when they learn about Melaka, 'faktor2 kejatuhan empayar Melaka' is far more important to learn instead of 'TARIKH Melaka jatuh ke tangan Portugis'.

Of course, the fact on 'kelekaan Sultan mengejar isteri seperti Puteri Gunung Ledang, Tun Teja dan Tun Fatimah' can be discussed only in passing and put at the end of the list! Politically correct right? ;p

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...