Wednesday, October 01, 2008

A whole new world

It is the eve of Aidilfitri tonight. As usual, Ramadhan flies so quickly but looking back, this is one of the most meaningful Ramadhan for yours truly. It started quietly but by the first weekend, things fell into places so beautifully and over the last 3 weeks, I was busy traveling, learning and experiencing all about humility and humanity, making new friends and keeping in touch with old friends, some of whom I have lost touch for more than a decade.

The traveling kicked-off with the long-awaited 4th library for orphanage project in Chemor, Perak which you can read all about it here and check out the photos here. We also had food distribution to the poor at the same site and at Bukit Gantang the next day under Feed the Fasting Programme by Islamic Relief Malaysia. Bukit Gantang holds a special place in my heart for that was the first place I went for library installation in an orphanage. Managed to get to know more of Bukit Gantang locals this time round, including Pak Long Husin who is 101 years old and has no other relatives apart from his unwell daughter who he needs to take care of. We also met Pak Ceh who is 83 years old, stays alone and still sells vegetables on his bicycle each day to feed himself. It was a humbling experience meeting them, I'd say. There were times when I had silent tears in my eyes....


Reunited with the kids of Rumah Nur Hidayah


Pak Long Husin


Pak Ceh berposing with 'Mr Rohan' ;)

More photos here.

After Chemor and Bukit Gantang, Feed the Fasting crew of IRM visited the office of Little People National Organisation of Malaysia and distributed food packages to the unfortunate members of the organisation. All this while, I don't think I have ever had any close contact with little people and the chance to meet and mingle with them during this visit was a real eye-opener. I was astonished to hear about the hardship that many of them are facing (health-wise and worst, discrimination) just because they're a few feet shorter than many of us.


I can't remember her name but she is so kind and lively!

More photos here.

The third weekend of Ramadhan brought us to East Coast where we distributed Feed the fasting food packages to the poor in Wakaf Tapai, Marang, Terengganu. Here, we distributed more than 250 boxes of the food packs and as before, more life stories were shared by the recipients..Sigh...There are still so many poor and abandoned group of people in this country!

Photos here.

Of course, we were a bunch of food lovers so in the evening when we were not working, we would be all over the places sampling local food and delicacies..heheh.. I would love to put up some photos of the food here but my connection is pretty crappy right now so I shall just continue....

The last weekend of Ramadhan brought us to Alor Gajah, Melaka for food distribution there. In a true Melaka style, the makciks and pakciks there were really lively and funny and I had a lot of fun talking to them in Nogori dialect. I used to went out with a Negeri guy (my first cinta monyet ok!) so talking to them brought back sweet memories from the past! I have yet to upload any photos from this trip on my fotopages...nanti la yek..

Anyway, would like to take this opportunity to thank all friends who have supported and contributed to this cause.. Really appreciate it. Being involved in this project has taught me many life lessons...One thing for sure, poverty still exist in this country and it is no joke. For many of us who have families to go home to, unlimited supply of food on the table and comfortable homes for shelter, do not take things for granted ok. Stop whining, be thankful and cherish every single moment you have with your loved ones before they/we are gone forever...

Salam Aidilfitri. Maaf Zahir Batin.

No comments:

End of an era (and the beginning of a new one)

So, I turned 48 a few days ago. Instead of having the day off to celebrate, it was a busy day instead starting with a virtual viva session f...